Sean T. McAllister is one of the nation’s leading marijuana lawyers and he is one of the only major marijuana lawyers licensed to practice law in both Colorado and California. Sean has twenty years experience working on marijuana law reform. He founded the non-profit Sensible Colorado that worked on all the ballot initiatives in Colorado that culminated in recreational legalization in 2012. Sean represented some of the first dispensaries to emerge in Colorado beginning in 2009 and he has built a reputation as an aggressive and pragmatic advocate for his clients.
Sean has litigated several groundbreaking marijuana cases in Colorado. Sean has sued regulators over enforcement actions, litigated pesticide standards for marijuana grows at the state and local level, and negotiated settlements for some of the most serious marijuana rules violations. He was co-counsel on the case suing the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment in 2008 that overturned the original 5 patient limit. This lawsuit broke open the medical marijuana industry and led to the opening of dispensaries. He litigated a ban on medical marijuana dispensaries in Eagle, Colorado and authored a ballot initiative that ultimately led to the ban being overturned by a vote of the people. He has sued several cities and counties related to their implementation of the marijuana law on behalf of aggrieved clients.
In Sean’s role as corporate counsel to dispensaries, he handles all aspects of corporate formation, dissolution, governance, purchase agreements, promissory notes, civil litigation and land use matters. Sean has also represented several dispensary owners and employees charged or accused of criminal violations in state and federal court. In addition, he has pioneered complicated licensing agreements with celebrity personalities.
Currently, Sean is defending the nation’s first product liability action against a marijuana manufacturer.
Sean has been widely recognized by the legal marijuana industry, most recently receiving the following awards:
- Colorado Bar Association, Employment Law CLE, November 2016, speaking on employment law issues in marijuana companies
- National Cannabis Summit, October 13, 2015.
- Colorado Marijuana Industry – Legal, Accounting, Advice and Compliance Conference , Co-sponsored by the Colorado/Wyoming Chapter of NACVA (The National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts) and the Colorado Bar Association Cannabis Law Committee, November 5, 2015 presenting on Legal and Accounting Advice and Compliance.
- MEDICOLEGAL Aspects of MARIJUANA In Criminal Law, Civil Regulations, and Forensic Science, December 4, 2016 presenting on Business Regulation and the Enforcement Process for Colorado Marijuana Law.
- Marijuana Business Daily Conference, Las Vegas, NV, November 2015, presenting on pesticide regulations in the marijuana industry.
- Cannabis Creative Conference, Portland, Or, July 2015, presented on celebrity endorsements of marijuana
- National Cannabis Industry Association, Cannabis Business Summit, June 29, 2015, Denver, CO, presented on Real estate issues in marijuana
- NORML Legal Seminar, spring 2015, Aspen, CO, presented on regulatory compliance in marijuana law
- High Times Cannabis Cup, April 2015, Denver, CO, presented on the future of marijuana legalization
- Drug Policy Alliance, Los Angeles, fall 2013, presented on DUID-Marijuana laws
- Students for Sensible Drug Policy, Conference, Denver, CO, March 23, 2012, presented on criminal justice issues and marijuana
- Lions and Rotary Club presentations in 2012, presenting on the legalization of marijuana under Amendment 64
- Cannabis Business Alliance, Casselman’s marijuana forums, 2011-2013, numerous presentations on the rollout of marijuana legalization in CO
- Drug Policy Alliance Los Angeles, CA, Nov 2, 2011, presented on the future of legalization
- Testimony in front of the Colorado and Hawaiian legislatures on marijuana legalization, 2010-2014.
- Denver 420 Rally, 2010-2012, spoke on marijuana legalization
- CLE International, “Medical Marijuana Conference,” Denver 2010, presented on regulatory framework of medical marijuana
Sean has won several awards in the legal community within the city of Denver and state of Colorado:
- 2007 Pro Bono Award for his work assisting victims of domestic violence.
- 2008 Certificate of Appreciation from the People’s Law Project for his pro bono defense of protesters at the 2008 Democratic National Convention.
- 2009 Gideon Award from Colorado Criminal Defense Bar for his dedication to the defense of the poor.
Sean is a life member of the NORML Legal Committee. From 2000 to 2003, Sean served as an Assistant Attorney General with the State of Colorado. Sean is a graduate of the University of Colorado School of Law, class of 1999.
Challenges &Opportunities of Owning & Operating a Marijuana Business, at the Colorado Marijuana Industry Legal and Accounting Advice and Compliance live CLE Seminar. (December 2015)