Sean T. McAllister is one of the nation’s leading marijuana lawyers and he is one of the only major marijuana lawyers licensed to practice law in both Colorado and California. Sean has twenty years experience working on marijuana law reform. He founded the non-profit Sensible Colorado that worked on all the ballot initiatives in Colorado that culminated in recreational legalization in 2012. Sean represented some of the first dispensaries to emerge in Colorado beginning in 2009 and he has built a reputation as an aggressive and pragmatic advocate for his clients.
Sean has litigated several groundbreaking marijuana cases in Colorado. Sean has sued regulators over enforcement actions, litigated pesticide standards for marijuana grows at the state and local level, and negotiated settlements for some of the most serious marijuana rules violations. He was co-counsel on the case suing the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment in 2008 that overturned the original 5 patient limit. This lawsuit broke open the medical marijuana industry and led to the opening of dispensaries. He litigated a ban on medical marijuana dispensaries in Eagle, Colorado and authored a ballot initiative that ultimately led to the ban being overturned by a vote of the people. He has sued several cities and counties related to their implementation of the marijuana law on behalf of aggrieved clients.
In Sean’s role as corporate counsel to dispensaries, he handles all aspects of corporate formation, dissolution, governance, purchase agreements, promissory notes, civil litigation and land use matters. Sean has also represented several dispensary owners and employees charged or accused of criminal violations in state and federal court. In addition, he has pioneered complicated licensing agreements with celebrity personalities.
Currently, Sean is defending the nation’s first product liability action against a marijuana manufacturer.
Sean has been widely recognized as a leader in the legal marijuana industry, most recently receiving the following awards or leadership positions:
- 2004-2012 Friend of Reform Award, Sensible Colorado
- 2009 Friend of Reform Award, Sensible Colorado
- 2012-2014 Spokesperson for Colorado NORML
- 2013 MVP, Cannabis Business Awards
- 2015 MVP, Cannabis Business Awards
- 2016 5280 Magazine, Top Marijuana Lawyer
- 2017 5280 Magazine, Top Marijuana Lawyer
- 2017-2019 Elected to the Board of Directors of the National Cannabis Industry Association
Sean has won several awards in the legal community within the city of Denver and state of Colorado:
- 2007 Pro Bono Award for his work assisting victims of domestic violence.
- 2008 Certificate of Appreciation from the People’s Law Project for his pro bono defense of protesters at the 2008 Democratic National Convention.
- 2009 Gideon Award from Colorado Criminal Defense Bar for his dedication to the defense of the poor.
Sean is a life member of the NORML Legal Committee. From 2000 to 2003, Sean served as an Assistant Attorney General with the State of Colorado. Sean is a graduate of the University of Colorado School of Law, class of 1999.