David is a Senior Attorney and a chair of McAllister Garfield’s hemp and CBD practice group. David’s clients include state-licensed marijuana businesses, hemp farmers and processors, CBD businesses, lenders, and ancillary businesses in the cannabis space. David focuses his practice on business formation, regulatory compliance, real estate, and intellectual property. David is proficient in Spanish.
Before joining McAllister Garfield, David was an Assistant County Attorney for Jefferson County, Colorado, where he handled real estate development, intellectual property, administrative enforcement actions, election law, and civil litigation. David began his career in regulatory issues with Dill, Dill, Carr, Stonbraker & Hutchings, a Colorado leader in liquor licensing. David applies his wide base of experience to the various legal issues that face cannabis businesses.
Since joining McAllister Garfield in 2017, David’s representative cases have included:
- Drafted state law surveys regarding rapidly changing hemp and CBD laws in all 50 states;
- Drafted and negotiated acquisitions of marijuana companies, and counseled companies through MED investigations of change of ownership, closing aggregate transaction values of over $10 million;
- Represented lenders in real estate financings secured by multiple parcels of real estate in multiple counties, with an aggregate financing value of over $45 million;
- Drafted and negotiated intellectual property licensing agreements for Colorado cannabis companies to market their brands in Colombia, Colorado, Arkansas, New York, and California;
- Wrote and negotiated 2014 farm bill-compliant sponsored hemp cultivation agreements;
- Counseled clients through the investigation of MED-approved permitted economic interests and commercially reasonable royalties;
- Negotiated the purchase and sale of real estate in Colorado via cash closings, traditional financing, and wraparound mortgage financings; and
- Negotiated the resolution of partnership and LLC membership disputes with an aggregate value of over $2 million.
David regularly participates as a speaker on cannabis topics including:
- On the Horizon: Emerging Markets & Trends, What the Farm Bill Means for the Marijuana Industry, MjBizconNext, June 14, 2019, New Orleans, LA
- Legal Insight: Farm Bill, Policy, Regulation, NoCo 6 Hemp Expo, March 29, 2019, Denver, CO
- Marijuana as Medicine, Denver University, February 12, 2019, Denver, CO
- Aligning Regulation of Cannabis Markets with International Realities and Legal Obligations, American Bar Association International Law Section, November 8, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico
- What is Cannabis Law? Denver University Sturm College of Law, October 30, 2018, Denver, CO
- Cannabis in Veterinary Medicine; Veterinary Cannabis Symposium, November 20, 2017, Denver, CO
- VeedVerks Podcast, July 23 and 31, 2017
David earned his J.D. from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law in 2007 and B.A. with honors from Tulane University in 2003. When David is not working, he enjoys family time, golf, skiing, BBQ, and enjoying all that Colorado has to offer.