Colorado - 10th Circuit Court of Appeals - District of Colorado
David counsels marijuana, hemp, and CBD businesses to help them navigate the complicated waters of federal and state cannabis laws and propel them forward. David’s clients include state-licensed marijuana businesses, hemp farmers and processors, CBD distributors, lenders, and ancillary businesses in the cannabis space. David focuses his practice on business formation, regulatory compliance, real estate, and intellectual property. Before joining McAllister Garfield, David was an Assistant County Attorney for Jefferson County, Colorado, where he handled real estate development, intellectual property, administrative enforcement actions, election law, and civil litigation. David began his career in regulatory issues with Dill, Dill, Carr, Stonbraker & Hutchings, a Colorado leader in liquor licensing. David applies his wide base of experience to the various legal issues that face cannabis businesses.
Since joining McAllister Garfield in 2017, David’s representative cases have included:
- Drafted and negotiated acquisitions of marijuana companies, and counseled companies through MED investigation of change of ownership, for companies valued millions of dollars;
- Represented lenders in real estate financings secured by multiple parcels of real estate in multiple counties, with an aggregate financing value of over $15 million;
- Drafted and negotiated intellectual property licensing agreements for Colorado cannabis companies to market their brands in Colombia, Colorado, Arkansas, New York, and California;
- Wrote and negotiated a farm bill-compliant sponsored hemp cultivation agreement with a state university;
- Drafted and counseled clients through the investigation of MED-approved permitted economic interests and commercially reasonable royalties;
- Drafted and negotiated the purchase and sale of real estate in Colorado via cash closings, traditional financing, and wraparound mortgage financings; and
- Negotiated the resolution of partnership and LLC membership disputes with an aggregate value of over $1 million.
David participates as a speaker at cannabis industry events, and is proficient in Spanish. David earned his J.D. from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law in 2007 and B.A. with honors from Tulane University in 2003. When David is not working, he enjoys family time, golf, skiing, BBQ, and enjoying all that Colorado has to offer.