An experienced business and regulatory attorney.
Navid Brewster assists clients in the cannabis and hemp industries from start-up to exist, including advising on business formation, corporate governance, licensing, regulatory compliance, land use, M&A transactions, and general commercial and business agreements. Navid is focused on the Southern California cannabis market where he is an expert on the regulations for the City of Los Angeles and other municipalities located in Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, and North San Diego counties.
Prior to his work in the cannabis and hemp industries, Navid defended large corporations in civil litigation cases brought under RICO and other federal statutes. Navid has also litigated commercial disputes, breach of contract claims, business disputes between members and shareholders, trust and probate disputes, and claims involving the breach of fiduciary duties.
Navid is a graduate of Tulane University Law School where he received his J.D. with honors (cum laude). He is admitted to the bar in both Louisiana and California. Prior to his legal career, Navid attended The University of Arizona where he received his bachelor’s degree in Finance. Navid is a native of Southern California and enjoys spending time with his wife and daughter, going to Angels games, cheering on his Arizona Wildcats, and enjoying the outdoor lifestyle afforded by the beautiful Southern California sun.
- Prepared successful local license applications for both competitive and non-competitive jurisdictions throughout California
- Successfully obtained state annual cannabis licenses for large-scale manufacturing client
- Regularly advised clients regarding regulatory compliance issues and provided compliant solutions to issues concerning daily operations and contractual relationships with third parties
- Structured multi-million dollar M&A transaction to meet compliance requirements under State and local regulations
- Conducted regulatory due diligence on cannabis M&A transactions
- Prepared entity formation and governance documentation for numerous California cannabis start-ups
- Advised clients regarding business formation and corporate governance issues
- Drafted and negotiated commercial agreements such as licensing agreements, white labeling agreements, vendor contracts, distribution and supply agreements